EHR and Clinical Data Specialist
|Reports To: EHR and Clinical Data Specialist Manager||Department: Office of the CMO/COO|
|Travel: Frequent field travel||Supervisory: No|
|Job Location: Field and Central Office|
The EHR and Clinical Data Specialist will provide analytic and EHR technical/clinical expertise to PTN coaches and practices to optimize use of practice EHR and ensure successful data collection and reporting on selected metrics and measure sets to drive improvement and practice transformation. The EHR and Clinical Data Specialist will provide technical support around the implementation of CCNC’s Clinical Data Reporting Strategy (CIRQ) and work closely with the CIRQ Team to ensure reporting deliverables are met. The EHR and Clinical Data Specialist will participate in defining and running quality measures across a variety of populations in support of CCNC’s mission to develop new care delivery models and improve the quality of care in North Carolina. The EHR and Clinical Data Specialist will partner and work closely with the PTN Coach Coordinator to provide a cohesive strategy to support practices in the transformation process and maximize the use of data to improve measure tracking, reporting, and, ultimately, outcomes. The EHR and Clinical Data Specialist will collaborate with the PTN Leadership Team, CCNC Analytics, and the relevant IT data loading teams to structure, collect, compile, analyze, compare, and report on clinical and administrative data and develop quality measures as needed. This position is anticipated to be highly visible in the field supporting PTN coaches and practices.
- Support PTN coaches and provider practices in the implementation of evidence-based guidelines and/or redesign of workflows through optimization of provider EHRs
- Design, develop, analyze, test, modify, document & maintain complex reports from practice EHRs
- Provide basic end user training & support related to clinical quality reports & data
- Work with integration analysts to validate, analyze, codify and normalize clinical data from a variety of electronic medical record and vendor types. The employee will be expected to understand issues of data integrity, to ensure data is accurate and that it meets standards of rigor for analysis and dissemination.
- Construct quality measures and verify measures pre-loaded from our vendor software. Build the measures, quality test the measures, work with IT to move the measures from development to production and coordinate regular production runs.
- Validate each practice’s measures, working with practices to identify their coding patterns that lead to low measures or updates required in our measure constructs. Work with PTN coaches to help them learn to identify likely causes of issues and run first level problem checking.
- Serve as key project member, coordinating team definitions of new measures, reporting on issues, conveying measure confidence across practices and ensuring confidence in the reported measures. Manage work within project timeline to meet reporting deadlines.
- Work independently and drive own work; lead problem solving/resolution
- Provide ongoing feedback to PTN Leadership and CIRQ team regarding successes, challenges/barriers, opportunities for engagement
Education and Experience
- Minimum of a four-year degree in health informatics, statistics, or health related field with strong quantitative and analytical background.
- 5+ years of experience that includes technical assistance experience with electronic health records; data collection, data entry and reporting measures
- 2+ years of experience with quality improvement/process improvement
- Experience working in the primary care setting preferred
- Expert analytical and problem-solving skills
- Basic statistical knowledge
- Ability to merge and manipulate large data sets in SQL
- Must be able to work independently while being accountable to a team of technical and clinical experts
- Working knowledge of standard coding sets including LOINC, SNOMED, RxNorm, CPT, ICD 9, etc.
- Ability to be trained in Risk Adjustment Factor Coding (RAF)
- Experience with healthcare clinical and administrative data
- Experience with electronic health records, clinical concepts, and workflow
- Excellent writing and communication skills, with an ability to translate complex ideas into clear, easy-to-understand concepts. Ability to present complex reports in graphical and non-technical language.
- Ability to multi-task and deliver quality work on time.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills to interview participants to understand data and to work across teams to resolve any data issues
- Independence, initiative, resourcefulness, and an attitude of teamwork and service
- Experienced in using Excel
- Working knowledge of IHI’s Model for Improvement, PDSA cycles
- Strong understanding of the changing healthcare landscape and movement to alternative payment models such as MACRA/MIPS
- Ability to proactively and strategically prioritize multiple domains to ensure efficiency and effectiveness in practice transformation
- Ability to serve as a change agent, motivate & stimulate innovative thinking
40 hours per week, with additional meetings on occasion as scheduled or required. Occasional flexibility with hours as required meeting the needs of clients/system. Travel required.
To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.
This position does not qualify for relocation assistance.
To apply, please direct resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. CCNC is an equal opportunity employer.
This job description is a general overview of the nature and level of work required for this position and is not meant to encompass all duties, functions, or responsibilities.