A community-based infrastructure to target patients and populations in need
Access to data to drive our success
Programs to anticipate and address specific patient needs
New demonstrations, pilots and programs
Materials to support providers
Network Update 63: 05/02/2014
Friday, May 2, 2014
In the News
HELP Testimony. In April, Dr. Dobson testified before the US Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions - Subcommittee on Primary Health and Aging. The hearing topic was “Addressing Primary Care Access and Workforce Challenges.” Dr. Dobson also commented on the issue in the Triangle Business Journal and the Charlotte Observer.
NC Medicaid. DHHS announced that Dr. Robin Cummings, the DHHS Deputy Secretary for Health Services, will assume the duties of Medicaid director. He will continue to serve as acting state health director. Read the official DHHS announcement and more about the appointment in the Triangle Business Journal, The Pilot and the Fayetteville Observer.
CCNC, Inc. Board. Bob Greczyn was appointed to the CCNC, Inc. Board of Directors. Mr. Greczyn, retired President and CEO of Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC (BCBSNC), brings more than 30 years of leadership experience in health care and a solid understanding of the North Carolina health care market. Check out Mr. Greczyn in the Triangle Business Journal.
Pharmacy. Moose Pharmacies and CCNC's team-based approach to pharmacy is highlighted in Pharmacy Today.
Telepsychiatry. A telepsychiatry pilot offered by Community Care of the Sandhills was recently featured in the Richmond Daily Journal.
KBR Rural Health Award. AccessCare of the Blue Ridge continues to celebrate its 2014 Rural Health Award presented by the Kate B. Reynolds Charitable Trust. Read more about the award in the Watauga Democrat and see descriptions of other submitted projects on the Rural Assistance Center’s website.
Pregnancy Medical Home highlighted. A article posted on HealthyPeople.gov (a web site managed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service) details key components of CCNC's PMH program. Congrats to Kate Berrien.
Diabetes Tips. Dr. Tom Wroth offers tips to help manage diabetes in the Durham Herald-Sun.
- Henderson County. HopeRX recently received a $9,000 grant from Project Lazarus to help energize the initiative in Henderson County. Read more on BlueRidgeNow.com.
- Pitt County. Pitt County Sheriff’s Office deputies will be the first law enforcement agency in the state to partner with CCNC to carry nasal Narcan, a drug that temporarily reverses the effects of an overdose of opioids. Read more on WNCT.
Palliative Care Guide. CCNC’s Dr. Jonathan Fischer served as a contributing advisor on NCMS' recently released manual, “The Accountable Care Guide for Hospice & Palliative Care.”
NASP Report. In a report prepared for ChangeLab Solutions by the National Academy for State Health Policy, CCNC is profiled for its childhood obesity, chronic disease prevention and management efforts. Read the full report, “Financing Prevention: How States are Balancing Delivery System and Public Health Roles.”
Infographic. A new infographic explaining how CCNC improves quality and reduces cost in North Carolina is now featured on the CCNC website. Check it out by clicking on the bar at the top of any page on the site. Through the use of a simple patient anecdote, the infographic provides a brief and easy-to-understand description of how CCNC operates.
Healthcare Quality Awards. CCNC has extended the deadline for the awards, which will recognize field-based CCNC staff, participating providers and community partners who are going “above and beyond” in the service of patients and health care quality. These awards will recognize a few of the people who make CCNC special and North Carolina a better place to live. To submit a nomination, please send an email to Melissa Biediger with the following information by Friday, May 9. Nominees are automatically entered in a drawing for an iPad Mini!
- Name and contact information of the person making the nomination.
- The name of the individual being nominated and the category under which you would like him or her considered (can designate more than one category if desired).
- A 200-word or less statement explaining why you believe your nominee is worthy of consideration.
- Onboarding Plan. NC HIE has developed a comprehensive, strategic plan for onboarding the NC hospitals that bill Medicaid for services, in order to enable compliance by NC HIE, NC DHHS and hospitals with the NC Health Care Cost Reduction and Transparency Act of 2013 (or "House Bill 834"). The plan includes background on House Bill 834, NC HIE, NC DHHS, the implementation/electronic health record (EHR) landscape and the 18-month roll-out schedule for hospitals. View the full NC HIE Hospital Onboarding Strategy.
- Direct Secure Messaging. NC HIE has upgraded its NC DIRECT functionality in order to enable participants to securely communicate with a larger number of healthcare providers state- and nationwide who are part of the national DirectTrust Transitional Trust Community Bundle. Read the full announcement and check out the trade media coverage.
- Newsletter. NC HIE has launched a monthly e-newsletter that will be distributed on the first of every month. NC HIE e-News aims to provide a monthly summary of NC HIE news, current initiatives and related health care topics. To view the May 2014 NC HIE e-newsletter, click here. To subscribe to NC HIE e-News for automated monthly updates, click here.
Welcome New Faces! Please welcome Network Financial Analyst Ryan Chapman and Data Analyst Jake Frost who will join CCNC as a regular full time employee.
Career Opportunities at CCNC. Applications are currently being accepted for several positions - for more information, please see the CCNC Careers page. Don't forget to check out positions open in other local CCNC networks on our Network Careers page.
Social Media Update. If you haven't already, please support CCNC's growing social media presence by clicking on the links below.
- As always, please let us know if you have news you'd like to share with the CCNC family.
- Interested in receiving this publication regularly? Just click the button below to sign up.